Shaping the future: Our strategy for research and innovation in humanitarian response.

A global organisation that finds solutions to complex humanitarian problems through research and innovation..
Our purpose is clear: we work in partnership with a global community of humanitarian actors, researchers and innovators to improve the quality of humanitarian action and deliver better outcomes for people affected by crises.
We empower the humanitarian community. Find out how we can support you...

4 Results for Health Topics

4.4 Sexual and reproductive health (including gender-based violence)

4.4.1 Sexual and reproductive health (including gender-based violence)

  • Fifteen papers were included out of a total of 7149 papers searched. No papers were from grey literature.
  • Quality of evidence: the majority of studies provided low/moderate strength evidence, with four (40%) low, eight (53%) moderate, and three (20%) high quality.
  • Evidence categories: only seven (47%) of the studies reported a test of statistical significance between SRH intervention and health outcomes (category A). The remaining eight (53%) did not. Among the seven category A papers two were scored as high, five as moderate. Among the eight category B papers, one scored as high quality, three as moderate quality, and four as low quality.
  • Study types: seven cross-sectional (47%), six uncontrolled before/after (40%), one randomised controlled trial (RCT) (7%) and one economic analysis (7%).
  • Regions: nine (60%) studies based in Africa and six (40%) from the Asian region.
  • Setting and stages of crisis: the majority of studies (fourteen) took place in armed conflict settings (93%), and one in a natural disaster (7%). Two studies occurred in the acute stage of the crisis (13%), eight from stabilised settings (53%) and five from the early recovery stage (33%).
  • Interventions: most interventions (eight) were in the health systems strengthening and/or capacity building category. Of the remainder, three addressed maternal and newborn health improvement services, two were specifically HIV/AIDS and STI prevention treatment and care, one provided a literacy based intervention and one directly addressed family planning provision.
  • Health outcomes: a wide range of outcomes were addressed under three main categories with some overlap. Nine primarily considered improved maternal and newborn health including obstetric care, four addressed prevention, treatment and care for HIV/AIDS and STIs and only two addressed solely family planning outcomes.
  • Table 15 presents the details of the 15 papers, including a narrative analysis of the effectiveness of the interventions.
View Publication View Executive Summary View Executive Summary - French HHER 2021 Update

Subscribe to our newsletters....

Elrha © 2018 - 2024 Elrha is a registered charity in England and Wales (1177110). KEEP IN TOUCH Want to stay up to date with our latest updates? Sign up to our newsletters
Elrha Please upgrade your browser

You are seeing this because you are using a browser that is not supported. The Elrha website is built using modern technology and standards. We recommend upgrading your browser with one of the following to properly view our website:

Windows Mac

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of browsers. We also do not intend to recommend a particular manufacturer's browser over another's; only to suggest upgrading to a browser version that is compliant with current standards to give you the best and most secure browsing experience.