KnowledgePoint: life-saving expertise across the globe
Organisation: IRC International Water & Sanitation Centre
Partners: WaterAid, Practical Action, RedR UK, EngineerAid, IRC
Type of grant: Core – invention
To bring greater efficiency and effectiveness to the provision of expert support in humanitarian response by enabling cross-organisational collaboration, and local partners’ and beneficiaries’ participation.
• Existing and future high demand for reliable and timely expertise in field operations from those who need critical, technical advice or information
• Duplication and inefficiency in having isolated support services
developing and implementing shared processes and a supporting platform, allowing local stakeholders and international organisations to pool technical expertise, delivering and tracking life-saving information responses.
Increasing the range of expertise open to enquirers, raising peak direct support capacity during emergency response, improving links to and utilisation of existing knowledge bases, providing a range of data on enquiry levels and type.
Innovation Phases Description:
- 3 – Development of process and tool, including extensive piloting, and;
- 4 – Implementation in WASH sector organisations, and promotion of the innovation within and beyond the sector.
Key Deliverables / Impact:
Deliverables for this phase include:
- To develop and pilot KnowledgePoint in a range of environments, and to use the learning to ensure the process and software are ready for implementation
- To support the full implementation of KnowledgePoint within organisations, enabling technical support services to become more integrated, more collaborative and more reciprocal between stakeholders